Sunlight

Sunlight

Friday, July 29, 2011

Womble Marriage Records in Edgecombe County, NC

Years ago, back in 2005 I had found in a book, North Carolina Marriage Records, Edgecombe County, North Carolina 1760-1868 by Frances T. Ingmire at the Library of Congress.  It contained marriage records for many of John Womble’s children. 
 
I noted down the information, but never actually went in search of the actual records.  The reason being was that I wanted to feel that I had researched everything else about the family before going back that far.  So in a sense, I wanted to feel comfortable with the research I had already done before tackling John and his son, John Washington Womble’s siblings’ lives.

In genealogy it very important to work only with original records, when available.  I looked at what marriage records were available on microfilm through the Family HistoryLibrary.  What I was really hoping to find was a marriage record for John Womble and Catharine Green(e).  I ordered the microfilm titled Marriage Bonds, ca 1741-ca 1868 N-W, Edgecombe County, North Carolina.

The film arrived and I searched first for John Womble and Catharine Green(e) or even any other woman, but he wasn’t listed.  I did find marriage bonds for some of his children.  John’s daughter, Celia’s marriage bond to Joshua Sory on 17 Aug. 1830 was found.  Son, Enos Womble bond to Lucinda Ford dated 31 May 1854.  As well as, Jacob Womble to Nancy Fryar on 2 Feb 1830. 

There was a marriage bond for an Edwin Womble to Betsy Crisp on 25 Aug. 1826.  I have no idea if he's some unknown relation to John Womble, but I noted this down anyway.  You never know when random bits of information will prove useful later in your research.  Lastly, there were all of Nathaniel Womble’s marriages.  Nathaniel was married four times in Edgecombe County.  My belief is that his wives kept dying on him, so that’s why he married so often.  His first marriage was to Martha Friar on 3 Dec. 1823.  Next, he married Celia Sorrell on 9 Jan. 1823 and then Martha Taylor on 13 July 1857.  His last wife was Elizabeth Etheridge who he married on 2 May 1864.

I couldn’t find marriage bonds for John's daughter, Mary Ann Womble who married Elisha Proctor in ca 1819.  It’s possible that they married in another county.  There wasn’t a bond for either for her sister, Finetta Womble’s marriage to Willie Lee on 27 Dec. 1826. 

John Womble and Catharine Green(e)’s oldest son, Warren married twice in North Carolina.  His first wife, according to my information was Mary Anderson and they married in 1821 in Wake County.  She died within a year and he married again.  His second marriage was in Nash County to Mary McDade on 22 Oct. 1832.

I also couldn’t find the marriage bond for Warren’s younger brother, Benjamin F. who married Mary McDade’s sister, Silana in abt. 1831. 

I haven’t given up hope of finding John and Catharine Womble’s marriage bond.  I did manage to find out that there’s on index to marriage bonds filed in the North Carolina State Archives available on microfiche through the Family History Library.  It seems quite extensive and I’m very hopeful that I will at last find this vital document.  If not there still a chance that I may be able to at least locate more marriage bonds for John and Catharine’s children.