Sunlight

Sunlight

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Ideas for learning more about Rhoda Caroline Richardson


Rhoda Caroline Richardson?
Earlier I blogged about obtaining Rhoda Caroline Richardson Womble’s death certificate in an effort to find out the names of her parents.  While getting the document was worth the money, I don’t feel that it answered my question due to misinformation from the informant.  So I’m back to the drawing board with this project!

I haven’t spent a lot of time researching the women in the line I’m working on primarily because it hasn’t been that difficult until now.  Normally, I’ve at least been able to find small scraps of information that have satisfied my curiosity such as,  the names of their parents and what state they were born in.

Some books I read on getting information about ones female ancestors suggested searching through probate records for someone with the same last name mentioning the female in question in a will.  I searched through some digital images of wills online at FamilySearch.org and didn’t find anything.  This was a bit discouraging, so I decided to think about other avenues for learning more about Rhoda. 

I don’t have much to go on.  The family story if you can call it that, says that she was born in Indiana and then moved to Tennessee as a girl.  Most of the documents I’ve found about her support that she was born in Indiana and since she got married in Tennessee, she must have moved there at some point after her birth. 

Her marriage occurred in Nashville, Tennessee just after the Civil War, and my guess has always been that she may have been living there during the war and that’s where she met her husband, John Washington Womble.  I looked at census records for 1860 for a female with a similar name to Rhoda’s, who was born in Indiana.  I found a couple of young women who were named either R C or Caroline, but I was unable to figure out if one of them was who I was looking for.

I looked through the Nashville City Directory trying to find other people with the same last name, but at this point was unable to find a way to tie them to Rhoda.

My strategy is to try to pursue church records in Nashville because they might give me more information about her life and lead me to members of her family or the identity of her parents.  Rhoda and John W Womble were married by a Justice of the Peace, so I doubt that this will lead me to a church.  The person who co-signed the marriage bond with John W Womble was name H F Mijers and I couldn't figure how they could be connected to Rhoda.  I did find a H F Myers listed in the 1866 Nashville City Directory.  He had a clothing store or tailoring business.  John W Womble was a tailor, so he could've worked there, but does that mean that his employer would have co-signed a marriage bond.  That seems unlikely to me.

I came up with the idea to get a listing of churches in Nashville during the time when Rhoda lived there.  Not only did she perhaps live there during the Civil War, but also later on from about the mid-1880’s until she died in 1904.  Then the plan is to find a churches near where Rhoda lived and try to find out what records exist that could help me in my search.

The other idea I had was to obtain marriage certificates for her children to see if I could determine the name or denomination of church where the wedding took place.  I examined Albert’s (Rhoda’s son) marriage documents and wasn’t able to learn the denomination of the person who married them.  I know from the marriage announcement for Albert and his bride that they were married in a relatives home (the bride’s maternal grandfather).  The person who married them is listed as E T Brantly V D M on the marriage certificate.  I looked up in a dictionary online as to the meaning of the acronym V D M and learned that it’s Latin for Verbi Dei Minister, which means Preacher of God's Word.  I still have no idea as to what denomination of Minister would use this acronym.

My next course of action is to pursue obtaining Rhoda’s daughter, Maude B Womble’s marriage certificate.  Perhaps the infamous Maude B. Cudworth will actually be able to help me with my research instead of being a detriment.