Sunlight

Sunlight

Friday, March 25, 2016

Neighborhood Land Search Update



After viewing the tax records, I ordered the next deed books that I felt I needed to read through in order to find the remaining neighbors’ land.  Last Saturday, I went to my local Family History Center to view them.  Unfortunately, I didn’t find any of the neighbors I’m still looking for.  There were deeds of interest to me in them for the particular area, but just didn’t happen to be for my ancestor’s neighbors.

I looked through all of vol. R and began reading through vol. Q.  Since the microfilm scanner was being used by another patron, I put off scanning what documents I found and resolved to scan them at a later date.

Once I returned home, I decided since I was almost finished reading through vol. Q that I would order another roll of microfilm and that’s when I made an amazing discovery.  Apparently, FamilySearch.org has digitized some of the deed books I’m interested in reading through available online.  Still many of these records haven’t yet been digitized, but because many that I’m interested in reading through are, I won’t have to order them and can view them from the comfort of my living room.

Since vols. Q and R were available digitally, I was able to download the images I had noted down while at my local Family History Center.  Then I took up where I left off in vol. Q and downloaded what images pertained to the area I’m researching.

Portion of digitized deed book


The schedule for this coming Saturday is to look through the rest of vol. Q and download any that are pertinent to my research.  Then if I have time, enter them into DeedMapper.

I searched through more of FamilySearch’s land records holdings for Hardeman County, Tennessee and found that survey books, one roll of petition records, and an early roll of tax records have all been digitized so they’re available online.

What helped me was the fact that the deed index for Hardeman County, Tennessee has been digitized.  Yes, just because it’s an index I know that it’s not inclusive of every deed or document that was ever recorded in Hardeman County.  But still, it’s a place to start in locating the remaining neighbors’ deeds or review to see if I missed something.

After noticing this interesting bit, I looked through the 1860 census and noted on my neighbor list those who had been enumerated in Civil District 12.  This information should help me determine when someone may have purchased their land in my ancestor’s neighborhood.  The only obstacle with the land records in Hardeman County is that tax records and deeds during the years around the Civil War are not extant.  So there is the possibility that if some of John Washington Womble’s neighbors bought land during that time period that the document may not have survived the war.  There’s also the possibility that the deed could’ve been recorded much later.

The search continues…