Sunlight

Sunlight

Saturday, April 9, 2016

Continuing Adventures of Neighborhood Land Search

I’ve finished reading through Hardeman County, Tennessee’s deed book vol. Q, August 1859-November 1860 that’s available digitally via FamilySearch.org.  Since volumes O-P, 1857-1859 have yet to be digitized, I ordered it and while waiting for it to arrive at my local Family History Center I began reading through vol. N, July 1855-February 1857.  In reading through the digitized deed books online I’ve added Rachel Dunn’s land and some tracts to the neighborhood.

Today, I braved an extremely rare and unexpected April snow storm in the DC metro area to venture out to my local family history center to view the microfilm.  I began by reading through vol. P, May 1858-August 1859 while armed with my list of needed land owners.  There was a glimmer of hope when I saw a record for a J Ferguson, the record made no mention of land, but I continued on through the book.  I found deeds for the 3 Bizzell people in John Washington Womble’s 1870 neighborhood.

When I returned home I began adding the plats to DeedMapper and indicating on my spreadsheet of land owners that their land had been platted.  In working with placing the plats in DeedMapper, I’ve found the topographical map to be more helpful, because it contains so much more details of the area, than the previous background map I was using.

My schedule for tomorrow and possibly the rest of the coming week is to continue platting the tracts I found today and also to finish reading through vol. N online and then plat those findings.

Snippet of Absolom Lane to Lewis Glenn deed